Forum switched to read-only as of 2020/06/01
|Latest product reviews|
Any other reviews / opinions from people having had longer experience now with the Onda V813?
It is a great tablet... if you plan on buying a 8'' inches tablet, i do advice you to buy it... The battery life is very good, the firmware is frequently updated... Since i've bought about 3 months ago, there has been 4 updates to the original firmnware than was loaded on my tablet.
I'm really convinced by this tablet and I would recommand it without any hesitation to any one interested in buying a new tablet...
I have had the Onda v813 for about 2 months now including a 3 week holiday in Italy.
Here are my views on this tablet:
1. Battery life is pretty good - not as good as my iPad but much better than my previous small tablet - a 7 inch Acer A100. I recharge it every three days - but it is only getting light use. Sorry this is not a very quantified result.
2. The wifi is perfectly ok - as good as my other mobile devices (several Android phones and the iPad)
3. The screen is nice and crisp and reasonably bright. I can read ebooks in sunny places if I shade the screen a little and turn the brightness up to full
4. The lack of hardware volume buttons is annoying
5. The tablet seems to lose control of some of the background processes and can be really unresponsive for a few minutes. This happens regularly after it has not been woken up for some hours. I have the feeling that some background process is hogging the CPU (all cores!) and this stops all normal foreground activity for a minute or two. I am experimenting disabling some of the unnecessary android processes to see if this makes a difference (why do I need SMS support on a device that has no mobile phone connection??!). Once the tablet has sorted itself out, everything runs quickly and with excellent speed.
I am going to flash with Jellybean (Kasty-Onda-v813 etc) to see if Jellybean can subdue these horrible delays in foreground activity. If this does not work, it will have to be the new Nexus 7 for me as soon as it is available in the UK as the CPU glitch is a real pain.
6. I have not been able to get the tablet to operate OTG USB devices (storage or mouse). I am using OTG microSD cables and adapters that work perfectly on my old Nokia N8.
7. I have not been able to use the HDMI port to display on my TV - again I am using a micro HDMI adapter or cable that works fine with other devices. I have cut down the plugs to fit the ONDA with its badly designed usb and hdmi sockets. I am going to get a Chromecast as soon as available in the UK so this should be a good way to stop me moaning about this.
So - overall - a mixed bag. I love it - in parts. It is a bit annoying in some other ways. I think that paying a little more for the new Nexus 7 will be worth the investment.
Most Users Ever Online: 749
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices in use: Desktop (91), Phone (12)
Guest Posters: 43
Moderators: globula_neagra, exelletor, JochenKauz, Oma7144, cracktech