Please note that Android Market installed thru ArcTools is still working on this firmware. Tested on an Archos 70 after a Reset Android procedure and ArcTools 0.49 installation (downloaded from Appslib).
Apparently Archos modified their firmware in a way that Archangel rooting method does not work anymore on this 2.3.20 firmware. The application gets stuck on “Please wait”.
If you need root access to your device, please do not flash current firmware and wait for a new workaround to be found. Flashing 2.3.20 firmware won’t let you flash older firmwares back.
Also note that this 2.3.20 is still an Android 2.2 (Froyo) and not an Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware. Archos firmware numbers is not related to the Android Operating system version.
Releases notes from http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen8.htm
- Application: a new Archos remote service and universal Android application to control your Archos device remotely using Wi-Fi. It is intended to operate your Archos using any Android phone/device for instance when the Archos is connected to the TV. The “Archos Remote Control” application is available on Android Market and on Appslib
- Application: a new Archos youtube application to easily view and play youtube videos
- Network shares: samba network share transfer speed has been enhanced to support HD streaming
- Network shares: password protected shares are now discoverable
- Media library: improve indexing behavior and robustness
- Media info scraper: more robust poster and information retrieval process for TV and movie shows
- Media library cleaning: all multimedia information (movie/tv shows posters and indexation data) can be cleared through settings->repair/formatting/reset multimedia library entry
- Contacts: fix importation and exportation of Vcards
- Applications: fix sound muted when initiating a call with Fring
- Screen snapshot: fix capture for all screens and TV
- Camera: increase quality of 720P H264 recording (decrease blockiness effect)
- Multimedia: improve UPNP stability preventing hangs when Wi-Fi connection stops
- Multimedia: for shoutcast network streams display url, station, genre on MusicPlayer
- Multimedia: fix next playing video being paused at start in folder play mode
- Multimedia: MMS playback support has been fixed
- Multimedia: MIDI playback support has been fixed
- Multimedia: fix compatibility with Rhapsody player application
- Audio: fixed alarm volume when headphone are plugged (was lowered)
- Video: fix some MPEG2 files not playing correctly on A28
- Video: fix seeking in AVI with layer2 VBR sound
- MusicPlayer: display track number (like “3/10”) for A43/A70/A101
- Videoplayer: fix folder play mode with HD video
- Subtitles: auto detect UTF8 codepage
- Storage: remove disk damage notification happening sometimes even after a successful file system check
- Peripherals: display a notification when plugging a USB device that requires more than 100mA current for A28/A32/A70 to provide feedback that it is not supported (e.g. some USB keys)
- Battery: improve prediction of wake up time to shutdown the product when battery is low
- Proxy: http proxy support has been fixed
- Phone tethering: increase compatibility with Blackberry phones (introduction of a setting to enable TCP/IP header compression)