The Easy Install process has been updated and now permits installation on the internal storage. UrukDroid 0.7 also offers the following great features: 3G dongles and DVB-T modules support, ext4 file system, root access, full read/write access to file system and an specific UrukConfig application.
Changelog for release 0.7:
UrukDroid 0.7 (28.02.2011) you’re damn right it’s a gift!!
- [NEW] NFSv4 client support
- [NEW] FS-Cache (cachefilesd) support for NFS (local disk cache for NFS files)
- [NEW] sshfs support
- [FIX] OpenVPN fix – thanks to nenadr
- [FIX] PPtP fix – thanks to nenadr
- [NEW] vpnc tool for using Cisco VPN connections
- [NEW] vpnc UrukDroid service
- [CHANGE] Updated to libc6 2.11 (and all binaries recompiled/changed because of it – big change)
- [NEW] new gnu tools: nmap
- [NEW] EasyInstall now allows installing UrukDroid on internal (mmcblk1) storage in A70 and A101
- [NEW] Integrated 3G USB modem and RNDIS USB tethering service by nenadr
- [CHANGE] New iobench.sh (with new bonnie++ test)
- [CHANGE] Changed device fingerprint to work better with google market (enable download some missing apps)
- [CHANGE] Merged Archos 2.1.8 firmware changes
- [CHANGE] Changed DVB subsystem support and kernel/modules dependencies to work with new v4l2 modules (it will brake compatibility with most other kernels probably)
- [FIX] Changes it UrukUpdate mechanism to work every time when file is moved to "/data/UrukUpdate"
- [NEW] Added required modules and iptables service configuration for DroidWall (firewall) application
- [NEW] sudo subsystem for launching properly some root tasks
You can get more details on XDA-developers forum
Release files are mirrored here:
Here is the video from previous release (0.6) easy installation process.
This is instruction how to install new Android distribution based on Linux, Android and Archos stock os, using SDE from Archos.
- Easy install method for external (SDcard) and Internal storage
- EXT4 (much faster than ext3, can store files >4GB comparing to FAT32)
- Full read/write access to every part of system
- root (su + superuser.apk) out of the box
- new services like: samba, sshd, vpnc, openvpn, dvbt, nfs4
- 3G/usb tether support
- Possibility to remove some google/Archos apps
- Swap memory in RAM (CompCache) or on disk by default or when you need it
- No 300MB limit for apps (and no faulty app2sd required)
- You can have SD card Class 8/10 – that can be much faster than internal flash (check this thread)
- Many new new kernel modules (usbserial, ntfs, 3G modems, nfs4, cifs, hfs, iptables etc.)
- DVB-T support for selected tuners
- updated modules, firmware (like WiFi)
- User friendly UrukConfig application
- … and much, much more – to much to mention all here – please read changelog
- UrukDroid is known to work on A70S and H, A101 (8/16GB) and A43
- Be aware that this modification requires SDE and probably some Linux knowledge.
- By doing described below steps you probably can’t brick your Archos – but do it on your own risk.
- Root access on your devices makes it less secure form malicious software (use more head – less fingers )
- None in 0.7 (so far)
Before you start:
- Read about SDE on forum, read SDE warning on Archos page before install
- All operations described here, are done on Linux or Android and should be done from root user (you can switch to that user in terminal by typing "su" or "sudo su" command)
- If you don’t have Linux on your PC – you can find any recent Rescue CD, Live CD or Virtual disk (VirtualBox or VMware) – distributions does not matter. If you don’t know what to choose – get Rescue CD from above link.
- This method REQUIRES 2GB+SDHC (SD) by default, or resizing internal storage.
Since UrukDroid 0.6 there is new automated install method. It put’s some restriction on flexibility of installation – but it should satisfy most of user, for more experienced ones – you can do it in old way.
Assuming you have already installed SDE from Archos:
Download and extract installation files from archive UrukDroid_0.7-EasyInstall.rar. Inside you should find three files: initramfs.cpio.gz, zImage and UrukDroid-install.tgz
Flash initramfs.cpio.gz and zImage from SDE boot menu:
- power on Archos70, hold up/+ volume key until you see "Archos AXXXX – Boot Menu",
- choose "Recovery System"->"Developer Edition Menu"->"Flash Kernel and Initramfs",
- connect Archos to PC and copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz
- press power button shortly, you should see Archos flashing new kernel
- if flashed properly, press power button shortly to reboot…
Boot to SDE:
- power on Archos, hold up/+ volume key until you see "Archos AXXXX – Boot Menu",
- choose "Developer edition"
You should see "UrukDroid 07 Installation framework". Please choose simple install method. When asked to, connect Archos to PC once again and copy UrukDroid-install.tgz, disconnect Archos from PC _properly_ (umount, safely remove device etc.) and press power button shortly.
Later, you will be also able to choose whether you want to copy /data partition. It’s recommended not to – but you have this option.
For advanced install method – look below.
After reboot you should see UrukDroid 0.6 boot up screen. With messages on bottom. It should be:
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Boot: Mounting rootfs…."
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Boot: Mounting /data…."
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Boot: System installation in progress, please wait…" (this step may take several minutes)
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Boot: Copying /data content, please wait…." (only if you choose to copy data, this step may take several minutes)
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Boot: Switching to rootfs…."
- "UrukDroid 0.7 Rootfs: Postinstallation in progress. Please wait…" (this step takes 1-2 minutes)
- "Black screen" – it’s a few minutes window when we can’t show logo and there is no interface yet – please be patient…
If first run of "Archos configuration wizard" creates "Force close" errors, please reboot device (hold power button shortly for more than 1 second, this will bring "Power menu" and press power button long until "Reboot" message will appear).
Step two: optional
If you want GoogleMarket (and required component to make it work) you can install UrukDroid package – UrukDroid-GoogleMarket_1.0.tbz2. (files inside this packaged are base on kenyu73 work).
If you copied your old /data, you cannot have installed any other version of Market. If you apply this update, on previously installed market/vending etc. – it won’t work. This packaged is tested with fresh install of Uruk – where it works.
Download archive and put it in UrukUpdate directory located on /data partition
(so path is /data/UrukUpdate/). You should do it directly from internet browser on Archos Tablet, file manager like Astro or terminal – you shouldn’t do it over USB.
Installation process will start automatically and silently, file will disappear from that folder after it’s done. To run Market, restart is required when you’ll be ready.
Since UrukDroid 0.7 you are able to choose, during install process, method called "Advanced". This option will give you possibility to choose partition sizes (from defined list of choices) when installing to SDCard or formatting Internal storage.
You are also able to choose Internal method installation with "resize" option. This method will try to reduce size of your current internal storage (visible on stock OS under /mnt/storage) and create additional filesystems. You cannot choose here filesystem sizes (it will use default/simple one 512MB for rootfs and 1GB for datafs) and YOU MUST assure enough free space on shrink filesystem. So MAKE SURE your /mnt/storage has AT LEAST 1.7GB free space – preferably more – otherwise this method will fail. This condition is not checked during install process.
UrukDroid_0.7-Install.rar (md5sum: 785fd119d3079d4369e60208cb260c30)
UrukDroid-GoogleMarket_1.0.tbz2 (md5sum: f5427bdefa633d52210cd4ace47ba128)
Upgrade package (from 0.6+ to 0.7) – please read third post of this thread for details
UrukDroid-0.7-upgrade.tbz2 (md5sum: 82ced9d18e74902b55157844a7b72f89)
- 3G support by Nenad
- UrukConfig application is developed by solune
- UrukBackup scripts are developed by cheefy
- 0.6+ logo by zizoom
- 0.5 logo by OCAL
- UrukDroid – mainly by Sauron
Special thanks also go for supporters: Andrew, Scott, Serguei, Jean Luc, Chirayu, Scott, Tom, Sarju, Przemek, Jason, Stephen, Carl, Kevin, Richard, Dennis, Donald, Stijn and Frédéric