The mighty BuBU from OpenAOS has started to port CyanogenMod on our beloved Archos Gen8 devices. This is a proper port from CyanogenMod, master branch, you can find it on gitorious.org
For the recall, CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones (and tablets) based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones.
Current version is a proof of concept bringing Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) CyanogenMod release to Archos Gen8 devices. According to OpenAOS, this release offers the following:
SGX/EGL 3D acceleration
accelerated Video decoding
TS calibration on A28/A32/A43
general instability / random crashes
Random touchscreen issues on Archos A101
hard to use on resistive TS models due to missing calibration
Android 2.3 Gingerbread image updates
A list of things adressed in this release (not complete, compared to older preview images):
- fix browser crash
- workarround for wake up from deep sleep issue -> disabled deep sleep (increases power consumption though)
- fix for finding right sdcard device for vold
- both internal storage and SD card should be visible now
- new bookmarks (for archos scene)
- power menu was not easy to get on gen7
- new CM7 bookmark for G-apps (for more info see also our wiki on this topic)
- used latest CM7 code
- headphone switch (not complete yet)
- lot’s of other things…
New zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz are required (else accelerometer will not work the right way on A101)
– accelerometer should work
– both sdcard and storage should be mounted
– bigger home/menu/back buttons..
– update from upstream cyanogenmod (so regression or improvements expected)
for the accelerometer you may have to active 180 degrees into cyanogenmod display settings
playback of various audio formats
sync to latest CM changes (could have introduced both improvements and regressions)
See previous post and general gen8 instructions for details.
Gen7 support may arrive shortly.
See our tutorial and video on how to install this firmware on your device.
Help is pretty much needed on this project, Android developers, Artists (for themes and icons), testers and code reviewers are all welcome
|AMAZON USA||Usually ships in 1-2 business days||$ 149.95||AMAZON UK||Usually dispatched within 1-2 business days||£ 89||AMAZON DE||Gewöhnlich versandfertig in 24 Stunden||199.99 EUR||AMAZON FR||Habituellement expédié sous 24 h||173.02 EUR|