Please note that Android Market installed thru ArcTools is still working on this firmware. Tested on an Archos 70 after a Reset Android procedure and ArcTools 0.49 installation (downloaded from Appslib).
Apparently Archos modified their firmware in a way that Archangel rooting method does not work anymore on this 2.3.20 firmware. The application gets stuck on « Please wait ».
If you need root access to your device, please do not flash current firmware and wait for a new workaround to be found. Flashing 2.3.20 firmware won’t let you flash older firmwares back.
Also note that this 2.3.26 release is still an Android 2.2 (Froyo) and not an Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware. Archos firmware numbers is not related to the Android Operating system version.
Releases notes from http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen8.htm
- Wi-Fi: fix cannot scan on an access point above channel 11 regression
- Phone tethering: fix TCP/IP header compression setting crash
- System stability: avoid Android reboot in case of missing audio
- Media library: fix media libray not updated on hard drive based A70
- Notification: decrease low battery notification volume
- Application: attempt to solve Pandora application not able to switch songs
- Application: solve music lag in applications using OGG format
- Bluetooth GPS: increase compatibility with 3rd party applications
- Display: avoid white/black screen happening sometimes when switching back the display on